Thursday 3 June 2010

Galeria

I was sitting in the garden reading an old copy of ‘NOW!’ that one of the kind English visitors left behind so that we can keep up to date with the celebrity gossip, when on a whim I decided to go to Galeria!



I have no idea why I suddenly fancied a trip down the coast, but I am glad that I did. I didn’t have long – just a few hours – but that was plenty long enough to pop down to the port and see the colourful diving/fishing boats. There was a little breeze, so the empty dive suits looked like they were dancing on the boats – quite freaky!



This stretch of coastline continues down to Porto and Piana, famous for the rich red colour of the rocks. Here also, the rocks are a deep russet colour which is a beautiful contrast against the blue water gently lapping the shore.



I got slightly confused by the road signs to start with (there aren’t any, that’s why you get confused) so I found myself at the church quite by accident. What a pretty spot. The church is surrounded by colourful oleander bushes with a seating area overlooking the town hall.



Just opposite are a couple of bars where you can breakfast or treat yourselves to ice cream depending on the time of day.



OK, so the beach at Galeria isn’t as pretty or sandy as those in the Balagne, but the scenery is just as dramatic, and you have other benefits such as the mountains right on your doorstep and the River Fango.



I’d seen some cows having a quick dip in the river near to the village so given my fear of large animals, I continued a bit further back towards Calvi before stopping. Of course, the sun was in the wrong place for an easy photo, so as the water level was relatively low, I decided to wade across.



Getting up the bank the otherside looked like it should have been easy, but with wet feet and flipflops it proved to be a slightly more tricky task than expected. All I can say is thank goodness I keep a makeshift first aid kit in the car!

No comments:

Post a Comment