Friday 4 June 2010

Algajola

Whenever I come to the north of Corsica, I always make time to stop off at Algajola, even if it’s just for 10 minutes of people watching on the sand, or a quick coffee on the square.



I used to come here often when I lived in Calvi, as personally I’m not a fan of very fine sand (it gets into everything!) so I preferred the coarser golden sand at the far end of the beach away from the town. For me, it has just the right mix; fabulous sandy beaches and yet has somehow managed to keep that feeling of a real village



My principle interest in Algajola has always been sunbathing rather than swimming, so I used to head right down to the far end which is a bit quieter but you tend to get bigger waves but be warned as this end is also popular with nudists (it took me several months to realise that!!).



Algajola beach is easy to reach and, with a large car park nearby, very popular with locals and tourists who want to spend a day relaxing in the sun. Unlike other beaches in Corsica, Algajola isn’t just for swimmers and sunbathers, but is also one of the island’s premier locations for water sports and windsurfing.





Today the sun was beating down and there were a good few sun-worshippers on the sand close to the bars and restaurants lining the waters edge. What a shame I didn’t have time to join them today…

No comments:

Post a Comment