Sunday 7 March 2010

Cappiciolo beach

When I woke up this morning, I was quite convinced I’d slept through the alarm as the sun was streaming in the window. As it turned out, it was only 7:30am so after coffee and a croissant on the balcony, I had time for a quick visit to the beach before work.



At this time of year, the beaches hold other attractions than just the sun and the sea; shells, drift wood, and the spring-like weather we’ve had for the last 10 days or so has brought on the early flowers, so the back of the beach is like a carpet of soft greens and pinks.



This particular beach is bordered at both ends by huge granite boulders, some of which look like they are balanced very precariously, and on days like today it makes you wonder how the sea has the force to move these enormous rocks.



The other thing that caught my eye was the amazing colours and lines of pink granite snaking through the grey. In some areas this was a deep blood red colour and almost gave the impression of a wound in the rock. Good job I don’t have an overactive imagination, isn’t it!



I’d had the foresight to put on my grippy rocks shoes, so I was able to indulge in a sport of ‘escalade’ over the natural barriers. Right at the top, I found a series of pretty rock pools set within the granite.



The water was surprisingly warm where it was shallow and able to be warmed by the sun more quickly, but I wasn’t brave enough to put more than my hand in!

No comments:

Post a Comment