Monday 18 May 2009

Restaurant u Minellu in Calvi

Despite my adventures, I am a creature of habit at heart, and whenever I am in Calvi I always try to eat at u Minellu. Tucked away in what presumably was once a thoroughfare, this little place looks a bit touristy from the outside with its gingham table cloths, but the food is excellent – really good traditional style dishes, well presented and very reasonably priced.


Outside of the main season, the ‘salle’ is the place to be, with its vaulted ceilings and cosy ambiance. Once the weather starts to get warmer, the covered terrace is nice as it is protected on three sides, so you can often eat outside here when it’s too chilly elsewhere. During the summer, try to get one of the tables on the terrace area to the side as you might be lucky and get a gentle breeze.



I chose the set menu which is one of the best value around; 19 euros for 3 copious courses! I chose the charcuterie to start which was a mixture of coppa, lonzu and saucisson served on a board shaped like Corsica, then the Sanglier à la mode Corse (wild boar in a red wine, mushroom and olive sauce) which was served with traditional polenta in a sizzling skillet. I wasn’t sure if I could manage a desert but it seemed rude not to as it was included! It was a tough choice, but in the end I plumped for the Fiadone which is a cheesecake flavoured sponge made with brocciu and normally served with a splash of eau de vie. Absolutely delicious as always…

No comments:

Post a Comment