Monday 31 May 2010

Lumio

The first thing you notice about Lumio when you explore on foot is how many of the houses have ‘go faster stripes’ where visiting cars have misjudged the narrow streets, but the village is so pretty, why would you want to drive straight through?



I left the car in the parking area by the church. There are a few different ways that you can reach the village centre, and I think I must have previously arrived from a different direction, as I have never noticed the beautiful façade before.



I took the time to wander through the narrow cobbled alleyways and under the vaulted archways and discovered some beautiful old stone houses with colourful flowers tumbling over the walls.



I really wasn’t sure whereabouts in the village I was, but I kept on climbing upwards, and it wasn’t long before I had a view over the red tiled roofs to the old bell tower.





The other thing I noticed about Lumio was that like many villages, the cats seem to outnumber the human inhabitants! This one was particularly cute, rubbing his head against the flowers (he obviously doesn’t suffer from hayfever like I do!).



He was absolutely gorgeous, if a little noisy – I didn’t know cats could mew so loudly!

I have always really liked Lumio; it has all the charm of a village whilst still being just a few minutes from the fabulous Arinella Plage and only 10-15 minutes from the bigger resorts of Calvi and Ile Rousse, so it was lucky I found a house for myself on the way back to car!



Unfortunately, it was fairly huge and the position was amazing with spectacular views over the bay of Calvi so I suspect it would be well out of my price range even if it had been for sale (which it wasn’t!). Probably just as well.



So, with a quick look back at the village from the car park, there was just time for a quick coffee before heading home...

No comments:

Post a Comment