Wednesday 15 July 2009

14 July - Bastille Day

Generally speaking, the Corsicans aren’t keen to be labelled French (even though they are really!), but if there is a chance of a celebration and more importantly a day off work, they’d be quite happy to paint themselves green and claim to be martians!



The 14th July is Bastille Day, and here in Propriano there is always a fireworks display on the port. Unfortunately, when I woke up this morning there was a 40kph Scirocco (hot) wind, so I was worried they might be cancelled - fireworks next to wooden boats with a strong wind is not a good combination unless you want a really spectacular display!!


Fortunately, the wind dropped during the evening so the display started at 11pm as planned. It was while sitting in comfort and listening to the ooh’s and ahh’s of my neighbours that I was reminded how luckily I am to live in such a beautiful place (and have a balcony with a view over the port…).

No comments:

Post a Comment