Wednesday 3 November 2010

Wild Mushrooms - Cèpes (porchini)

Yesterday I was rewarded for my efforts in the birthday cake making department by my neighbours who gave me a bag of wild mushrooms they had collected in the grounds where we live.














I am always a bit dubious about mushrooms as I have been known to poison myself from time to time with foods that I can identify, let alone those that could be friend or foe. Luckily, these came from a trusted source who didn’t seem to have any homicidal or suicidal tendencies, so I felt fairly confident that they were indeed cèpes (porchini).














So my plan was to de-mousse them, wash them, chop them finely and fry them in a little olive oil and white wine with some chopped parsley and garlic. The whole house smelled heavenly, especially when I warmed up the home-made mushroom soup that yet someone else had given me the day before – yum!














Drying is the best way to of preserving cèpes, but they never seem to last that long in my house!
  1. Cut into slices around 1 cm thick, or around half an inch thick, and threading them onto cotton thread with a clean needle.
  2. Hang up the threaded mushrooms in a warm, dry place with a matchstick tied to the bottom of the thread.
  3. When the mushrooms are dry, pull them off the thread and store them in an airtight jar in a cool dark place.

No comments:

Post a Comment